Transitions are hard. Just ask anyone... Yet my life can be summed up by the transitions that I have had to make...For example:
Transition from wife to wife & mother of 1
Transition from mother of 1 to mother of 2 healthy children
Transition from mother of 2 healthy children to mother of 1 healthy and 1 sick child
Transition from fighting for my sick child's life to making her comfortable and letting her go
Transition from mother of 2 back to mother of 1
That is my life in a nutshell...and although I understand the need for transitions and the change that comes with them, I am NOT one that likes the change. I like a routine and in fact crave it. But routine is not something I had during our 15 month long fight for Katie's life. And it is something that I am having trouble getting back to. I am also one that enjoys a good fight and one who will find ways to make myself successful. During our fight with neuroblastoma I learned how to do many things myself (i.e. take blood from a central line, give medicines through a central line, even catheterize my own child). Maybe that is why the last two transitions have proved to be the hardest. I didn't like giving up...it was the hardest idea imaginable to give up on saving Katie's life here on earth...My daughter was suppose to be getting ready for pre-k this fall...not playing on the streets of Heaven. Of course playing on the streets of Heaven is a way better option for her but it still hurts to miss seeing Katie going to pre-k. And although I had no choice in the matter, I am still reminded of what being a mother truly means. You have to do what is best for YOUR child...that is the definition of being a mother. You no longer think of what you need or want BUT instead what your children needs. And like another mom (whose blog I read today) said, it is all about perspective. Remember as you are getting your kids ready to go to school this year and thinking 'thank goodness they are finally going back to school' that there are many mother's who would give just about everything they have to get one more day with their child.
Thanks for listening to my ramblings....please continue to pray for us as we make the transition into a life without Katie by our side to make us laugh, frustrate us, and keep us on our toes. And please pray that we can focus on what Laura Beth needs & wants...and make her life here with us absolutely wonderful! =)
Also please pray for another little girl, Lauren, and her family who is having to make the transition from fighting for her life to letting her go. Lauren is a little 4 year old who has had a tough battle with neuroblastoma.
Transitions and changes can be so hard but you have shown it can be done and can be done with grace and determination. The things that could have been and should have been will be with you for a long time and you will learn to cope with it. When Laura Beth meets the should have beens of Katie's you will smile and enjoy them. I know it will not be long before you get your normal and routine back, it will be a new one but you will see it will be filled with joy and fun with Laura Beth and William. You just hang on to the love for Katie and show Laura Beth and William the love you have for them. God will guide you and you will know in your heart when he does. Katie will always be a part of your entire being and it is ment to be that way as a Mom but you will go on and live all the first with Laura Beth with joy.
ReplyDeleteHave a good week and God Bless all of you and prayers will be with all of you and for Lauren's family a future not parent should have to face as you know.
Prayers, Love and Email Hugs
Mona White
Your "new" life will take some time getting use to. I know you miss your baby girl so much. My heart just breaks at the pain you are feeling. It is amazing how your heart can really hurt from all the pain of the last 15 months. And as soon as you think you are doing better someone will ask " How many kids do you have?" then you start the process all over again. It will get better, it just takes lots of time. Love you. I know you are a help to little Lauren and her family. That is what God wants you to do. It also helps you heal.
ReplyDeleteYour experience has touched and changed me. I'm dreading sending Connor to school on Monday because that is time I'm going to be missing with him. I know school is good for him. He learns things there he can't learn at home without peers, but you have taught me to value the time with him. It's hard to give that up.
ReplyDeleteI'm also going to be thinking of Katie all day Monday when I go into work with my Pre-K kids. I'm going to be seeing them experience what she would have. While I believe Heaven is a better option too :), being with those kids makes what you're going through all the more real for me. And that makes me sad too.
I'm thankful you have Laura Beth to mommy and hug on. And William to support you and love you.
Christa,
ReplyDeleteYour blogs are written so beautifully. Your pain will ease. Katie will always be with you. Knowing Katie I know she is watching over all of you. Somehow Katie will come through the things Laura Beth does to ease the pain. Don't underestimate Laura Beth she knows when you are sad so don't surprised when she does something at that time to make you laugh. God is good and He will be helping you through those times as well. Even through death Katie is still touching lives like Lauren's and her family. I am truly blessed to have known Katie and to know Laura Beth and William. You all are in my prayers daily.
Love to all
Karen Hammock
Conroe, TX
You guys continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Yes while transition is life in necessary sometimes it can be hard too. It is hard when you just ache to hold your child in your arms one more time. Your faith and love you have for God and your family have touched so many life's. God's grace and the love of your family and friends will help you get through this time. Katie will forever be with you in spirit and in your heart. Though that does not help right now, one day you will be able to find comfort in it. Katie's life was so full and though short she touch more people in her life than many of us will ever touch in ours.
ReplyDeleteLove in Christ,
Amanda Douglas Hold
Hi Christa,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing the link to your blog. I wish we had known your beautiful daughter, and take great joy in knowing we one day will-- and that our sweet boy already does. I like to think that our little warriors know when one of "ours" is coming home and are there waiting for them. :-) Somehow this brings me great comfort.
You, Christa, will ALWAYS be a mom of 2 (unless you have more). Forever. Just as I will always be a mom of 4. Don't allow others' discomfort keep you from proudly saying so. You and your family are in my prayers.
Walking through the valley...and all the painful transitions it holds...with you.
~dawn
www.throughthisvalley.blogspot.com
Thankyou for sharing with us Katie's story. I didn't even know her, yet I feel like I do. She has touched me. I can't help but look her sweet face and smile-what An Angel and A Warrior! I found out about you through Alice Fraley. I wish, I would have known earlier. I know this must be the hardest thing you will have to endure-I pray that God is always with you and your family. I found a song on you tube- thought you might like it, "In His Time". I pray for you everyday, for peace, comfort, and understanding. Beverly
ReplyDeleteThinking of you ...... like each day !
ReplyDeleteChrista, I can't imagine the insurmountable pain you must feel. I wish I had something really profound to say, but I don't. Just know that my prayers continue for you, William and Laura Beth, and your extended family. Prayers do wonders, I know that.
ReplyDeletePraying for all your transitions. Praying for God to give you hope and joy when grief and sadness come. Continuing to pray....
ReplyDelete***long, silent, big hug***
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to say, "hello" and let you know that y'all are in my thoughts and prayers, as always.
ReplyDeleteLynn King
Thinking of you and your sweet family tonight! Hope you have a blessed weekend! Prayers still coming your way.....
ReplyDelete